Prodemos in a nutshell
The aim of this project is to make an evidence-based dementia prevention strategy using mobile Health accessible to those at increased risk of dementia who are usually not reached by preventive medicine.
Our final aim is to implement this flexible fully adaptable mHealth platform in a culturally appropriate form in a range of health care settings across the globe.
Kick off meeting 15 and 16 January 2018
PRODEMOS builds on an existing eHealth intervention that is adapted to an mHealth platform for dementia prevention, specifically tailored to vulnerable populations in HIC and LMIC, and has been implemented in multiple settings in the UK and China to pave the way towards a scalable, global strategy for dementia risk reduction. Broad implementation of this strategy now can reduce the global dementia burden for the coming decades.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement no 779238. It is listed on the ISRCTN registry with study ID ISRCTN15986016 (http://www.isrctn.com/ISRCTN15986016)
PRODEMOS in a nutshell
- Assess barriers and facilitators within vulnerable populations in High Income Countries (HIC) and in Low and Middle Income Countries (LMIC)
- Adapt the operational ‘Healthy Ageing Through Internet Counselling in the Elderly’ eHealth platform to a culturally appropriate mHealth (smartphone) platform for self-management of dementia risk factors
- Blended care approach with remote personalized support by a health coach to improve their lifestyle and actively reduce their risk of dementia
- A randomized implementation trial in 2400 older people at increased risk of dementia in China and a vulnerable population with low SES in UK
- Main outcomes are implementation outcomes such as acceptability, feasibility and sustainability of our mHealth intervention, costs, and effectiveness on dementia risk reduction.